Back To Basics: just remember FAWL and you got it all....


I wrote another article about all you need to grow cannabis is food, water, air and light. At the end of the day, you can add a hundred other things to it but if you remove even a single one of the above your cannabis will fail.

So recently when we had our floors done I had left some Black Diesel cuttings rooting in a mini-DWC unit I have and when I got be, roots were everywhere and I needed to get these cuttings into a better environment but all my grow stuff is jammed in the back of this pod thing we used to store our stuff in while the work was being done.

So I needed to have these into a better home like that day, yet it will be a week or more before I get all the stuff out, let alone set up and working. So, I went back to basics: what was the bare minimum I needed to keep these plants safe and happy (happily vegging to be precise)? My basics of Food, Air, Water and Light. Thus I transplanted the cuttings themselves into my To Go Cup things with hydroton I found out back and rinsed. Then I rinsed out a tub, dumped in 5 gallons of veg nutes from another grow, specifically Advanced Nutrients' excellent system of Grow, Micro and Bloom nutrients, guaranteed to take care of your girls' needs while keeping your pH right in the happy zone without tons of fiddling.



Finally I dropped in the airstone/airline from the mini-DWC and finally, I strapped a 300W LED veg light to a stick of PVC which was then zip-tied to the only furniture in the room. At the end of it the plants are happily vegging away while I take my time getting the tent, air ducts, etc ready.

Look, all this is to illustrate how simple growing cannabis really is as long as you remember the basics: Food, Air, Water and Light is all you need.

Peace, jeff

UPDATE 1 March 2019:  You may have seen some of the sections I wrote on growing cannabis for the disabled and while much of the stuff that I do is just common sense, its all designed with the disabled grower in mind. What I do find cool however is when I see a theory become a fact-based answer to whatever the problem is, I geek on that, seeing ideas being tested, and they are passing for the most part. I have a whole graveyard of good ideas.

So what got proven here? Well as I explained here, if you use my setup design you can be hands-free or hands-off for a week or more. That was all I would commit to but then right after transferring the rooted clones to a classic tub-and-rez setup, I and my caregiver came down with something nasty, nastier than I can recall as an adult. The end result is whatever I set up in this story above was how it had to live from January 28 through March 1st. I was just plain too sick to do anything in the grow room.

To my delight I went into the grow room today and the whole tub is thriving! Check it out:
Black Diesel clones; this is a rather beastly strain...
And all it took was light, air, water and food. Tomorrow I intend to finish setting up one of the bigger tents I own, mix up 20 gallons of my soil mix (2/3rd coco coir (coconut husks) and 1/3 Perlite., set up two planters facing each other, then transplanting the clones into actual soilmix and then the whole shebang into a 4x8x6 grow tent, tilting each to 45 degrees. Each will be fed from a common tub that will sit between them with a fully automated electronic sensors and pumps. Last step will be to tie all of the limbs down to the trellis, like last time.

The big takeaway here is that I really was bedridden for almost three weeks and the clone cuttings were started in the rooter (DWC) before I did. 3 weeks later and everything is running like a champ, it did well considering it was totally ignored for most of that time. Now the clones are bushing up very nicely as well. All tks to my grow method I didn't even have to think about it for weeks.

Now I would not recommend anyone ignore their plants for three weeks or even two. That said, I know we have all been there, that special place where normal activities become tasks from hell.

Comments